Series Big Idea
God who loves invites me to rely on His love by accepting His love.
Teaching Big Idea
God who loves created me on purpose with purpose.
BEGIN IN PRAYER
Consider praying for wisdom to understand God’s purpose in creating man in His image.
TALK IT OVER
Did you notice that you were accepting God’s love for you this week? If yes, when were you aware of it?
What sort of messages might someone who has experienced rejection be tempted to believe about themselves? Why do you think it is so easy to believe these messages?
So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them. Genesis 1:27 (NIV)
- Why do you think it matters that we understand God created us in His image?
- Do you think most people see who they are as more important that what they do?
- How would you explain to someone, “who comes before do” because we are created in the image of God?
Jesus replied: “’Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment.” Matthew 22:37-38 (NIV)
- Do you find it challenging to believe that God wants your love? If yes, what makes it difficult?
- How do you feel when you hear the statement: God doesn’t love me because He created me, God created me because He loves me?
- What is one thing you can do this week to respond to God’s love for you?
And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ Matthew 22:39 (NIV)
- As a group, determine who your ‘neighbors’ are.
- Why do you think it can be so easy to lose focus on loving your neighbor? What difference would it make to recall that others bear God’s image too?
- Name some practical ways you can love your neighbors this week. How can this group support you?
Pray that this week God would help you to see that you were created by Him to be loved and to love.